There are many ideas of what rape is, who gets raped, who the rapist is, and where these crimes happen.
Here are the Facts:
- Learning self-defense is an available option. You can learn to be assertive and to use awareness and physical action to defend yourself.
- Rape is forced sexual relations against a person’s will.
- Rape is a crime of anger and violence, not an act of sexual desire. No one asks to be raped.
- Anyone can be a victim. FBI statistics show that one out of every three women will experience a rape in her adult life.
- Rape victims range in age from 4 months to over 90 years old. Women of all economic groups, neighborhoods and life-styles can be victims.
- Most rapes are planned and often occur in the victim’s home or car. Many times the offender is a person known to the victim.
- Most rapists lead normal lives. Many are married and young. They can be of any race, color or economic class.